When I look for toys for Sami to play and enjoy, I consider the following three things:
- Dog toys that both me and Sami will enjoy together.
- Dog toys that are safe to play with.
- Dog toys that are appropriate for Sami’s age, size, chewing habit, strength, and temperament.
Sami has a lot of toys, which is why I discard and replace worn or damaged toys. After a few months, I examine all his dog toys, throwing away any toy that is in poor condition. I closely examine noisemakers, such as growlers and squeakers.
Just like a child, Sami loses interest in his dog toys after a while. To keep him interested and curious, I do not give him all the dog toys I have bought him all at once. I rotate his toys by color, shape, flavor, and texture.
Sami also has a few hard rubber or latex dog toys that he plays with often. It’s important to get him chew dog toys because itkeeps his teeth, jaws, and gums healthy. The toys I don’t buy for Sami are the ones made of rawhide.
Rawhide dog toys can become worn or fragmented. You’ll need to replace them as soon as they become damaged or worn out, as your dog can swallow the pieces accidentally. If you do buy them for your Westie, I suggest you keep a close eye on them while they play with it.
I also do not buy dog toys with small parts that he can swallow, and toys made of brittle plastic or soft vinyl. Most West Highland Whiter Terriers enjoy playing with dog toys made of a premium quality fabric that they can snuggle.
With this covered, let me tell you about the variety of different dog toys you can buy for your Westie.
6 Types of Dog Toys Your Westie Will Enjoy Playing With
When you go look for a dog toy for your Westie, you can consider buying him one or more of the following dog toys:
1. Puzzle Dog Toys
Westies are an intelligent dog breed. If your Westie solves the puzzle, he’ll get a treat. The toy will dispense a treat to him. There is more than one kind of dog toy puzzle available. You can get a dog puzzle toy that dispenses a treat when your Westie walks or runs with it, one that requires him to open the door to get to the treat, and others that encourage your dog to find the treat or plush dog toy.
2. Chewing Dog Toys
Chewing dog toys can withstand rough play and withstand heavy chewing. You can buy one that comes with no stuffing or little stuffing. They are made from durable materials with reinforced stitching to ensure they do not get damaged during play.
3. Plush Dog Toys
Plush dog toys are ideal for dogs that like to carry a toy in their mouth and sleep with it. You can find plush dog toys with a squeaker and a lot of stuffing with a soft, outer material.
4. Rope Dog Toys
Rope dog toys are long pieces of cotton rope, consisting of many knots tied at different places on the rope. Dogs can toss, chew, and play tug of war with you or another dog in your house. This is Sami’s favorite game to play with his rope dog toy.
5. Fetch Dog Toys
Fetch dog toys are every dog’s favorite. Throw them at a distance and see them run to catch it. You can get plush toys, slightly weighted balls, knotted balls, frisbees, and a combination of throwing dog toy and rope dog toy.
6. Kong Dog Toys
Kong dog toys can withstand rigorous chewing and playing. They are made from durable rubber and have a hole in them that dispenses a treat when your dog plays with it.
5 Best Dog Toys to Buy Your Westie
Here are 5 dog toys to buy your Westie:
- Can change the difficulty level
- Clear plastic allows you to measure the contents
- Comes in two different sizes (3 inches and 4 inches)
- Cannot withstand rigorous chewing or rough play
- Difficult to be put together
- Does not work well for larger treats
- Comes in different sizes (small, medium, and extra large)
- Choose from six characters (Elmer the Elephant, King the Lion, Marvin the Moose, Rosie the Rhino, Spunky the Monkey, and Ali the Alligator)
- Has an extra durable layer
- Minimal stuffing
- Can easily come apart at the seams
- Squeakers can break easily
- Large is looks like a medium size
- Available in several vibrant and bright colors (green, red, and blue)
- Comes in different sizes (mini, small, medium, and large)
- Made from non-toxic and safe material
- Breathable design with holes ensures that it does not cut airflow
- Cannot withstand rigorous chewing
- Toys run small to size
- Holes are too large for smaller dog treats
- Comes in many sizes (small, large, and extra large)
- Like a fetch game and puzzle game
- Available in a variety of designs (squirrel, bee, hedgehog, rainbow, and bird)
- Not large enough for a big dog (But perfect for Sami)
- Cannot withstand heavy chewing
- Trunk part of the dog toy is made from a very thin material
- Has three durable knots
- Comes in different sizes (small, medium, large, extra small, and extra large)
- Made from cotton fiber
- Dogs can swallow it after excessive playing or shredding it
- Cannot withstand continuous and rigorous chewing
- Can be too heavy for some dogs to pick and carry
I think it is time Sami gets a new dog toy, as he has been a good boy lately. What about your Westie? Is it time he gets a new dog toy too? If yes, I wonder which one you’ll get for him.